It’s a competitive digital world and the success of your roofing business hinges on your ability to leverage a multi-channel online marketing approach. A strong online foundation with a plan for increasing traffic and leads will ensure your business grows as fast as you can handle the demand.
Here, we’ll uncover the top strategies WISE Digital deployed to help double the revenue of one of our roofing business clients in San Diego, CA, taking their revenue over the $5M mark in just one year of our partnership.
1. A Website That Clearly Separates You From The Competition
A website is the online foundation of any business. It’s the only thing you truly own on the internet, and it’s a window into your roofing company for new and prospective customers.
It’s critical to take your website investment seriously and work with a reputable marketing firm, like WISE Digital, that excels at digital marketing for roofing businesses.
If you’re working with a person or a company that doesn’t have expertise in marketing roofing businesses, you’re wasting your time.
They won’t be able to build you a website that sets the roof on fire, like the NEST™ website we built for San Diego-based Ascent Roofing. That new site played a key role in helping the company double its annual revenue projections in less than 12 months.
Where to Start
First, you need a thorough and strategic audit of your website, SEO structure, keyword ranking, directory listings, and reviews. Reach out to us here at WISE Digital for a free audit. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about how your business is currently performing (or not performing) in those key areas.
From there, we’ll help you develop a budget and plan to help you achieve your goals in a realistic timeframe. The investment will depend on your size, scale, goals, and the state of your current online foundation. Explore the wide range of digital marketing services we offer to get started.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is how we explain to Google what your business does. Without a strong SEO strategy, your website and business will never be found by people searching for the types of roofing services you offer.
SEO is never an afterthought; it must be baked into the DNA of your website. A professional digital marketing agency like WISE Digital starts every website project with thorough research and a written SEO strategy. Then, work begins on copy, design, and coding.
When the new website launches, your business is set up for better visibility on search engines like Google and anywhere else your customers may be found. As prospective customers search for keywords related to your business, our SEO efforts help ensure that your website becomes part of the conversation.
The Google rankings shown below are just one example of how our SEO work resulted in better keyword rankings for Ascent Roofing, the company that we helped double its annual revenue projections. Note that our efforts will make you visible both in the map section of Google as well as in the regular organic results (i.e., not ads).
We can’t emphasize enough how awesome it is to take a client from being invisible (unranked) on Google to show up for keywords that matter most.
3. Directories & Local SEO
Local SEO is a little different from the technical SEO done to your website. Any business with a physical address serving a local geographical area needs local SEO.
Think about it this way: If the SEO we do to your website helps Google understand who you are and what you do, local SEO helps us tell Google where you do it. This process gives Google the confidence that if they send their users to you, they’re actually going to find you.
For our partners in the U.S., we help set up and maintain over 50 local directories to accomplish this. It’s a ton of work, but the result is that you have a good chance of appearing in Google’s local pack or map pack — a prominent section in search results that appears when a user makes a search query with local intent. Plus, you’ll get better organic ranking results, too.
Is it a ton of work for our team? Yes. Is it worth it, knowing there’s a great chance our clients will appear in the local pack or map pack while increasing their organic ranking? Absolutely.
We deploy the same strategy for ourselves, an example of a search result is shown below, so we get the same benefit as our clients.
Did you know that reviews account for about a quarter of Google’s local search algorithm? That makes them paramount to the success of any business. Getting an abundance of 5-star reviews can be more important for certain industries, like those where the service is brought into people’s homes.
Online reviews are essential for roof repair, even if it’s commercial. It’s important to focus on and develop a system for getting online reviews from your customers. Getting them doesn’t just help convince new customers to do business with you; it enables you to rank better in the local pack, in organic search results, and on Yelp’s search results.
People look to reviews for guidance in making decisions, turning to the wisdom of the collective, so to speak, to help them make choices. Develop a great relationship with customer reviews, and your business will flourish.
5. Google Ads & Google Local Services Ads
Google Ads (paid search) are a great way to attract more roofing customers. The key advantages include:
- Targeted Reach: The ability to reach potential customers actively searching for roofing services in your area.
- Local Targeting: Targeting ads to specific geographic locations allows you to get in front of potential customers in your service area.
- Competitive Advantage: Your competitors may not be utilizing Google Ads effectively, and by running well-optimized campaigns, you can gain a competitive edge and capture a larger share of online leads.
- Quick Results: Organic SEO can take time to show results. With Google Ads, you can get your roofing company’s ads on the first page of search results almost immediately.
Google LSA (Local Service Ads) are a little different than regular Google Ads. Google Ads are known as pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, meaning you pay every time someone clicks on your ad – even if they don’t contact you at all. With Local Service Ads (LSAs), you pay by the lead instead of the click, meaning you’re only charged when a prospective customer contacts you via the ad.
Here’s how we’ve seen Google LSA work well for roofing businesses:
- Roofers we work with who reliably answer their phones see an average cost per lead under $50 vs. the $60-$70 range that’s typical for the industry. For example, in the snapshot below showing August 2023 data from Google Local Service Ads for one of our roofing clients, you can see they’re paying just $41.65 per lead.
- Cultivating a consistent review presence on Google enhances your authority among competitors on Google LSA.
- Users who are active in their accounts and file leads as booked appointments, archive calls, or dispute bad leads are placed higher in Google’s LSA algorithm.
6. Yelp Ads
Advertising on Yelp is a powerful tool for roofing companies for several reasons:
- You’ve got an engaged and targeted audience with high intent. These users are looking for a roofing company to work with. They go to Yelp to see images of the jobs you’ve done, read your customer’s reviews, and learn more about you.
- It’s cost-effective. You can set your budget and bid strategy to work for almost any budget within reason.
- Running ads gives you enhanced visibility over your competition. Your ads appear prominently over your competitors when users search for other choices.
- Yelp provides great call-to-action options, customization, and analytics. They make it relatively easy to track the performance of your advertising campaigns and help you measure your marketing ROI within the platform.
The snapshot below shows how many leads came in from Yelp ads for one of our roofing clients in just 30 days. The budget for the month was $2,500, meaning the average cost per lead was just $15.72.
7. Meta Ads
Advertising on Meta (formerly known as Facebook) can help you promote your services, engage with potential customers, and increase your online visibility. Key advantages include:
- Precise Targeting: Meta’s robust targeting options allow you to reach a very specific audience. You can target users based on demographics, location, interests, behaviors, and even life events.
- Local Advertising: You can target users in your service area.
- Visual Impact: Meta is a highly visual platform. You can use images and videos to showcase your roofing projects, including before-and-after transformations and customer testimonials.
- Engagement: Users can engage directly with your ads through likes, comments, and shares, increasing visibility and creating a sense of community around your roofing company.
Blogging helps enhance the online visibility of your roofing company’s website by providing valuable content and fostering engagement with prospective customers.
Google wants to see business owners regularly add content to their websites, and blogging is one of the easiest ways to accomplish this while providing valuable tips, knowledge, and experience. Fresh content brings traffic to your website and helps convince users that you are the expert.
Video is a phenomenal way to capture visitors’ attention to your website, grab additional traffic on YouTube, and more.
Create video reels of your best work and tours of top projects — both residential and commercial. These job highlight reels allow you to talk about your customers’ problems and the solutions you put in place for them. Plus, it will introduce your team of roofing experts.
You can also get video testimonials of your customers talking about your service and the results of the work you completed for them.
Once created, this content is perfect for publishing on your website, sharing across your social media channels, in your newsletter, and wherever else you might be online.
10. Lead Tracking & Analytics
For your digital marketing to be successful, we need to continually monitor the performance of everything we touch. This is why spending the necessary time to set up robust reporting is essential to your success. The basics include:
- SEO reporting for rankings
- Form tracking
- Dynamic call tracking
- Conversion tracking on your ads
- Live chat
- Your CRM
- A detailed analytics report that ties in all data sources
The Bottom Line
In competitive markets like roofing, digital marketing is no longer something nice to have — it’s a necessity.
Your business will grow by implementing the online marketing strategies we’ve outlined here, but only if you work with the right partner. The wrong one will lose you and your business time and money.
Find a partner like WISE Digital, which specializes in digital marketing and lead generation for roofing companies.
Let’s Start Something Great
WISE Digital and its team of digital marketing experts are here to help your roofing company thrive and achieve accelerated growth. We’ll ensure your success with practical, profitable, and measurable strategies. Let’s talk!